Friday, January 27, 2012

Too good to be true?

I don't know about you but I tend to be wary of deals that seem to good to be true, especially when it comes to the "free trial" concept.  Well, today I decided to risk it.  Has anyone heard of ShopRunner?  It's a shopping program that offers discounts and free two-day shipping on participating websites.

I know what you're thinking.  I just made an online purchase earlier this week so I shouldn't be shopping.  Well, I just happened to find a gift card in my glove box when I was cleaning out my car two days ago and it had $20 on it!  Woohoo!  I had also received a 15% off coupon for American Eagle so I decided to browse.  I saw that the AE Lightweight Hoodie that I had been eyeing a while ago was now on clearance, plus all AE clearance is an additional 40% off.  So with my 15% off coupon, the total came to $12.74.  Even though I live in a southern state, I am ALWAYS cold so I wear a lot of lightweight sweaters and hoodies all year round.  With gift card in hand, this was a no-brainer.



Ok, back to ShopRunner.  I was thrilled with my find but was not thrilled with the shipping - $7!  For some reason I have a mental block against paying for shipping, so I went hunting for deals.  I stumbled across ShopRunner and I was immediately intrigued.  The annual fee is $79, but you can sign up for a free 30-day trial.  Supposedly, you are not charged as long as you cancel the service before the 30 days is up, but you have to give a credit card when you register.  I read, and reread, and reread the policies before deciding to give it a try.  I signed up and was able to get free two-day shipping on AE.com right away.  I'm going to give it a few days and then I'll go in and try to cancel.  The site claims you can cancel online pretty easily, so hopefully this won't come back to bite me in the butt.  Fingers crossed...

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment