Thursday, February 9, 2012

The naked truth

For the past two years I have been working full time and going to grad school at night so that I could earn my masters before my husband and I start a family.  My schedule was extremely hectic and I lived on little sleep, fast food, and wearing whatever happened to be clean.  I was determined to thrive in my classes so I made the choice to allow other things in my life to take a backseat.  It was not an easy time in our lives, but we survived.  

In the weeks since I graduated, I have decided to start putting more effort into me.  Now that my physical and mental energy isn't focused on due dates and grades, I'm able really able to invest in myself.  I'm not up until 2 AM working on papers or studying so I have been able to get up earlier in the morning to style my hair instead of just throwing it into a bun.  I'm not spending my weekends locked up in the library so I have started to plan outfits and meals so that I am more put together and eating more healthy. These small but significant changes to my habits have already been rewarding, and it has only been a few weeks so far. 

One small change I have touched on previously is putting effort into dressing how I feel inside instead of letting comfort and convenience rule.  I think it is possible to be both well-dressed AND comfortable and I am currently trying to perfect this balance.  One area I have been struggling with in particular is footwear.  I have realized recently that I feel better about myself when I'm in a great pair of heels, so I have been trying to make an effort to wear them more often (instead of my beloved flip flops).  Unfortunately, I don't own very many pairs of heels, and the ones that I do have aren't incredibly versatile.

So now I am on a quest.  A quest for chic but comfortable heels that can be worn many different ways with many different types of outfits.  A key piece in such a footwear wardrobe is the nude heel.  Here are the options I've been considering...


I am a big fan of Nine West for pumps, so I tend to start there when I'm shoe shopping.  This is the Nine West Caress Pump in light natural leather.  Leather is always a classic but I think this might be a bit more dressy than I'm looking for.





This is the Nine West Rocha Pump shown in taupe patent on the left and light pink patent on the right.  I think the patent makes these more casual than the Caress pump, and the wood style sole/heel on the pink patent would make it even more appropriate to wear with jeans.

A comfortable nude wedge would also be a great find.  This is the Nine West Garner Wedge in beige leather.  I've never really done well in wedges before, but since I'm trying to experiment, I thought these might be a safe place to start.


I think I'm leaning toward these, the Nine West Ambitious Pump in light taupe leather.  I think these are dressy/delicate enough to wear to work with slacks, but casual enough that I could throw them on with a pair of skinny jeans and a tank and head out for drinks.  I've had Nine West Ambitious pumps before (in addition to these) and they're incredibly comfortable so these might be a winner.

This may just seem like shoe shopping, but I really feel like there is a purpose.  I had forgotten what it was like to really feel good about myself and dressing the part is a piece of the puzzle. The small changes I have made in myself since graduation have proven to be not only an investment in myself, but also an investment in my husband and my marriage.  Being more healthy, organized, and put together has made me happier, more confident, and more attractive because I am comfortable in my own skin.  I don't mean for that to sound shallow, but I am taking pride in myself again, and I think this has positively affected my husband.  I truly believe that in order to make someone else happy, you have to be happy with yourself.  And hey, if buying new shoes helps with that process, who am I to complain!




No comments:

Post a Comment