Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Time for a change

I am lucky enough to work in a relatively casual office environment.  Our office dress code could easily be described as Jimmy Buffet business casual.  Most of us wear khakis or slacks with casual tops and sandals (yes, sandals).  One of my coworkers wears only peasant skirts, tank tops and leather flip flops while another wears what I consider to be dressy pajama sets (knit and stretchy with some kind of sheen). 

Even though I am considered to be one of the more formal employees (because I typically wear closed toed shoes and iron my pants), I have started to realized that my work attire is very...young and boring.  I have several pairs of fun, work-appropriate heels but I always wear flats.  I have dressy blouses/shells but I always opt for a plain and simple knit top.  I don't wear a lot of patterns and I rarely put much thought into my accessories.  I just don't take the time to really dress for work.

Well I have decided to change this.  I am due for a relatively large promotion in a couple of years and I think that now is the time that I establish that I am ready to run a department and take on a more key role in our daily operations.  As much as I appreciate being able to dress comfortably for work, I find it hard to be taken seriously since I am 20 years younger than most of my colleagues.   Changing my look, even in small ways, could help me project how I actually feel inside.  It's time for me to stop dressing like an intern and start dressing like an assistant director. 

 Before

This is a pretty good representation of what I wear on a normal workday. 

Normal

 
 After
This is almost exactly what I am wearing today.

Leopard Tuesday
 
I already owned all of these pieces (although that is not the exact sweater I have but it's close) so I didn't have to spend any money.  I just had to put in a little more time and effort.  I have a lot of fun pieces but I never thought it was worth it to wear them to work because I don't have to dress up.  Well now I am making the choice on my own because I want to.

It's amazing how clothes can change how you feel about yourself.  I feel more in charge and together.  More mature and confident.  More me.  Today, in my leopard heels, I can take on the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment