Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What does money actually buy?

I went to TJ Maxx and didn't buy any clothes, handbags, or shoes.  Whew, that's not something that happens often.  Since TJ Maxx is the type of store you have to dig through in order to find hidden treasures, I'm usually determined to find something that I like so that I can't say that I wasted my time.  Typically I don't have to look very hard.  There's always a stylish top, cute pair of heels or fun tote bag waiting for me but today I was picky and didn't find anything that I just had to have.

Well, that's not entirely true.  I bought a jewelry stand/organizer for $6.99.  My husband has been complaining that my accessories constantly take over our bathroom counter so this was really a purchase for him, not me.

You know you're a shopaholic when you can justify buying things that you want because it might somehow positively affect someone else.  I can't be the only one that has done this...right??? 

Having this blog and being able to go back and look at all the items I've bought recently has really made me more conscious of how much I buy.  I don't break the bank on any one item, but even with my shopping cut back, I'm spending about $50-$100 per week.  Just a quick glance at our online statement shows that I've spent $600+ so far this year.  And we're only a week into March!  And that's supposed to be me cutting back!  $600 in two months is crazy.  I don't need to spend $300 per month on myself for random things.  That's just short of what my monthly student loan payments will be in a few months.  I really need to set firm limits for myself instead of just vaguely saying I'm going to cut back.  Would my friends like me any less if I didn't have that $600 worth of stuff?  No.  Would my husband love me less?  Find me less attractive?  No.  I must admit, having new fun things does make me feel better about myself.  I like knowing I have the perfect outfit for a particular occasion.  But is that feeling really worth all the money I'm spending for it?  I'm not so sure anymore.  

I know I'm still early in this blog but I wish more people were reading it so that I could get some comments on how others have curbed their spending.  I've heard of some people giving themselves a weekly allowance and once it's gone, it's gone.  I've also heard of people who find an item but don't let themselves purchase it for 1 week.  If they still want it a week later, they let themselves buy it.  I don't think this would work well for me because I do most of my shopping online during sales or at stores like TJ Maxx so if I wait a week for something, it won't be there anymore.  Maybe that's the real point of waiting a week?  I think I'll do some online research and hopefully find other bloggers with similar concerns and saving goals.  If I want to really cut down on my spending, I might need the help of a support group.  I've contemplated going cold turkey but I don't think I would survive the withdrawals...







No comments:

Post a Comment