Monday, April 30, 2012

Out of my element

Two posts in one day is going to be a rare thing for me, but today calls for it.  I need help.  I need advice.  I need recommendations.  About shopping.

I like to consider myself a proficient shopper, but that really only applies to shopping for myself, my husband, family, close friends, etc.  Well today I'm getting in to new territory.

I'm shopping for a 1 year old's birthday.  Most baby shopping I've done previously has been straight off of registries.  Even when I shop for my nephews, my sister just tells me what to get them (they live 4 states away so it's hard for me to keep up with what they're interested in).  I've never been left to my own devices before and I must say, shopping for baby toys is overwhelming!

I'd like to get him one large toy, a few handheld toys, and some clothes.  The clothes part should be a breeze since I know what he normally wears and what sizes he needs.  The rest of my list is a little bit more complicated though.

Just how accurate are the age recommendations assigned to toys?  Are "educational" toys really superior to others?  Blocks or books?  Walker or jumper?  Noises, lights, or both?

Here's are some of the things I'm considering:




The VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker, $29.99.  It's a little cheaper than I think a walker should be, but it has gotten great reviews. 



The Chicco Baby Jogging Walker, $57.99.  This one seems a bit plain, but the reviews pointed out that other walkers with regular plastic wheels tend to slip on tile floors while this one has rubber on the tires so it grips better.  My friends' condo is all tile so that might be an important characteristic.




The Baby Einstein Discovering Music Activity Table, $35.  I love that it's so focused on music but also concerned that it might be noisy and annoying.  

The Fisher-Price Little People Time to Learn Ride-On, $39.99.  Do kids actually play with ride-on toys?  My nephews never seemed interested in stuff like this.





The Fisher-Price Rumble and Learn Driver, $29.99.  This seems like a cute option, but I'm not sure it's age-appropriate.  The website says it's for children 6 months to 3 years, and I just don't understand how that's possible.  Do 6 month old kids really play with the same things as 3 year olds?  I'm not convinced. 

The Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Fun with Friends Musical Table, $44.99.  This seems pretty similar to the Baby Einstein musical toy above so I'm not sure why it's $10 more.  Is it better quality?  More sturdy?  Better features?  I have no clue. 



I'm leaning toward the VTech walker or the Chicco Baby Jogging walker.  I'll do some more looking around before I order one so if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions, please let me know asap!

On a side note, someone please tell me that people don't actually use things like this:


I always assumed kids learn to walk when they're ready but apparently not.  Thankfully, SOHO offers the Baby Walker - Learn to Walk for those impatient parents whose kids aren't growing up fast enough.  It's a steal at only $13.99!  Grab yours today!







No comments:

Post a Comment